I wanted something special for the morning this weekend. But since we’ve been doing breakfasts on a regular basis, I knew it would have to be something beyond eggs-bacon-and-toast.
So I tracked down a recipe for apple muffins, printed it out, and headed to the kitchen. Only to realize that I didn’t have half of the things I needed. I had to wing it, again. And then I decided to top them off with a crispy crumble-like topping. Luckily the muffins turned out amazingly well. I served them up, and my five-year-old excitedly told her daddy, “It’s an apple pie…in a MUFFIN!” (She gets really stoked about new foods!)
I wrote the recipe down quick, before I forgot it. (Please excuse the poor photo quality. I’m not a very good food photographer at any time of the day, but I’m not a very good ANYTHING that early in the morning!) And now I have to share it. It’s just too good to keep to myself.
Apple Pie Muffins
Makes 2 dozen
- 4 apples-diced
- 4 1/2 cups of flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups cream (you could easily substitute milk…I just had more cream in the fridge than milk that morning)
- 1/2 cup of butter-melted
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups brown sugar-packed
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees F. Grease or line your muffin tin
- In a large bowl combine flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. In a separate bowl combine the cream, eggs, vanilla and butter. Pour into the flour mixture and stir. When it’s all combined, add the diced apple and stir until blended.
- Fill your muffin tins nearly to the top. Sprinkle on your topping (see below). Bake for 20-25 minutes in your oven, or until the tops of the muffin spring back when lightly pressed.
- 1/2 cup of flour
- 1/2 cup oatmeal
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
Really, you just need to mix this up until it’s crumbly.
I promise these muffins will be a huge hit on your breakfast table (or with coffee, or after dinner…or as an evening snack….you get the idea!)
Slightly Similar Nonsense:
- C is for Cookies…or Chocoscotch
- (Recipe) Brownies of Death
- (Recipe) Cherry Shortbread
- Recipe: Banana Nutella Muffins
- Fruit Crisp